Main cause for “bad bite”
Main cause for “bad bite”
As an established orthodontics & Braces practice in Delhi, Dr. Goswami and his dental Braces dentist team is often been asked about what causes a bad bite. Also known as malocclusion, a bad bite happens when your upper and lower teeth don’t fit together correctly. It is a misalignment problem that can lead to serious complications to your oral health and well-being.
Ideally, your teeth should fit together without any spaces or crowding issues. The teeth in your upper jaw should ever so slightly overlap with your lower teeth so the molars’ pointed ridges fit into the groves of the molars opposite to them. Any deviation is considered a malocclusion and may include: crowded teeth, overbite, cross-bite, open bite or under-bite.
Here are some of the signs and symptoms that you or a loved one may have a malocclusion:
- Teeth are improperly aligned
- Constant biting of the tongue and/or inner cheeks
- Difficulty or discomfort biting or chewing
- Speech problems
- Mouth breathing
- Changes in the appearance or shape of the face
When the teeth are misaligned, they are unable to perform crucial functions. Proper alignment of the upper teeth is necessary to prevent biting of the lips and cheeks, while proper alignment of the lower teeth prevents you from biting your tongue.
If your teeth do not line up this way (in fact, most people’s teeth don’t!), there could be a few reasons why.
Potential Causes of a Bad Bite
In many cases, a person may have a bad bite because it runs in their family. However, there are some habits or conditions that can alter the structure and shape of the jaw, thus affecting the teeth. Some of the most common ones include:
- Genetics. Some people have misaligned teeth simply because it runs in their family like — Cleft lip and palate. This is actually the most common reason for malocclusion, though not every child will experience the issue even if both parents did.
- Childhood habits. Some childhood habits can lead to malocclusion, including using a pacifier past age 3, using a bottle past age 2, and thumb-sucking or Mouth breathing. While it is not usually easy for parents to break these habits, it is important to be aware of the damage that they can have on the alignment of teeth later on.
- Injury. An injury such as a jaw fracture can lead to malocclusion.
- Issue with teeth. Having too many teeth, teeth that are abnormally shaped, impacted teeth Mouth or jaw tumours, Poor oral care, Enlarged tonsils or adenoids can lead to malocclusion.
How Do You Know if You Have a Bad Bite ?
While malocclusion is easy to describe as misalignment of the teeth, it is marked by other symptoms, including:
- An altered appearance of the face.
- Pain or discomfort when biting or chewing.
- Breathing through the mouth instead of the nose.
- Speech problems, such as a lisps.
How is a Bad Bite Diagnosed ?
A bad bite is typically diagnosed during routine dental check-ups / exams. The first dental visit usually involves examining the shape and condition of the teeth and jaws and performing x-rays to evaluate if the teeth are aligned correctly. Should your dentist detect a malocclusion, they will classify the issue based on its severity and type:
- Class 1 – The upper teeth slightly overlap with the lower teeth.
- Class 2 – There is a severe over-bite, with the upper teeth and jaw greatly overlapping with the lower teeth and jaw.
- Class 3 – There is a severe under-bite with the lower jaw protruding forward, overlapping with the upper teeth and jaw.
How is Malocclusion Treated ?
In some cases, the problem is not severe enough to warrant treatment. However, even in mild cases, patients should keep in mind that unchecked malocclusion can lead to further issues, like TMJ disorders. TMJ disorders are marked by a variety of symptoms, including the obvious, like facial pain, and the not so obvious, like sleep apnea. So, if malocclusion is causing pain, discomfort, or even cosmetic concern, there are a few options for treatment to explore.
- Dental Braces. An orthodontist can decided what type of braces are right for your mouth and how long you will need them.
- Tooth Extraction. Sometimes a bad bite is fixed by removing some unnecessary or misaligned teeth.
- Orthognathic Surgery. It is relatively uncommon to need surgery to correct malocclusion, but in some cases, it is the answer.
Treating a Bad Bite
Dr. Amit Goswami and his dental braces and orthodontist team at his dental clinic in East Delhi, has treated many patients with a bad bite. Treatment may include dental braces ( metal braces – Invisible braces – Aligners or Adult Braces ) to correct the position of the teeth, as well as removal of some teeth if there is overcrowding. We usually recommend the use of Clear aligners or invisible clear tooth coloured Adult Braces especially for patients who want a comfortable and inconspicuous alternative to clunky braces. We also offer accelerated Adult Braces which work in 3 to 5 months’ time frame — orthodontic solutions for patients who want to fix their smile in the shortest time possible.
Please feel Free to ask us any further questions about Dental Braces treatment or for a Free Braces Consultation….
Dr. Goswami’s Delhi Dental Center in East Delhi…… welcomes people looking for Affordable Budget Best Price Low Cost Cheapest Smile Designing, Dental makeover, cosmetic dentistry, cosmetic smile enhancement with help of Orthodontic Dental Braces Treatment Procedure by Top Best Specialist cosmetic dentist, orthodontist and dental braces Dentist at best Cosmetic Dental Clinic in East Delhi, India.
Appointments – The appointment time is flexible and we work all 7 days a week and we will give you your preferred time slot as per your preference.
Please feel Free to ask us any further questions about Dental Braces treatment.
Feel free to ask us for a free consultatio
Dr. Goswami – the Delhi Dentist – owner of Specialist Orthodontist & Dental Braces Dentist clinic in East Delhi, welcome people looking for affordable budget best price low cost cheapest orthodontics, dental braces dentist and dental clinic in Delhi- India, to have a detailed consultation for their cross bite, under bite, open bite, scissor bite, over bite, crowding of teeth, spacing of teeth conditions and choose proper treatment options for themselves…
Same Dentist team — Affordable cost — Same location since last 20 yrs. (est. 2000).
That’s the real beauty of having dental Braces Treatment from Delhi Dental Center.
We offer different Orthodontic and Dental Braces treatments.
View our Patient cases
The appointment time is flexible and we work all 7 days a week and we will give you your preferred time slot as per your preference.